TELL US what you think!
To provide feedback on the WFISD Curriculum documents, click the link below to complete an online survey.
For Wichita Falls ISD, this site houses the curriculum documents for the core content areas of mathematics, science, social studies, and English/language arts. Documents are organized by grade span (elementary, junior high, and high school).
Please note that these curriculum documents are works in progress. Throughout the 2013-14 school year, the Curriculum Department will continue to post documents in a timely manner as they become available. Also, we will periodically edit, revise, and update these documents to ensure that the most current information is available to our staff and to the public.
• What information is in each curriculum document?
Curriculum documents include calendars and unit planners.
|Calendars provide a schedule of topics to be covered according to the grading period (six weeks or nine weeks).|
Unit planners provide more detail regarding
expectations, activities, and resources.
• How were the curriculum documents developed?
The documents were developed by groups of teachers known as Curriculum Councils, following several steps:
- For each course, the Councils analyzed the Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS). These are the state-approved curriculum standards for all courses in Texas public schools. (For more information, visit the TEA website.)
- The Councils arranged and bundled these standards into Units.
- For each unit, the Councils outlined a clear set of student expectations.
- Finally, the Councils pooled together resources that will help teachers relay this information to students in the classroom.
• How can parents review teacher lessons in more detail?
The WFISD curriculum documents provide a framework for instruction. For use in the classroom, the documents often provide a list of suggested resources, such as state-approved texts or locally-developed materials.
However, each teacher creates her own individual lessons based on the needs of her students. Because the actual handouts and activities used by students will vary slightly from classroom to classroom, parents should contact their child's teacher to request specific lesson details.
For more questions about the WFISD curriculum documents, please contact:
David Freeman, Chief Academic Officer
Carol Marlar, Director of Elementary Curriculum
(940) 235-1021 ext. 15002
Ward Roberts, Director of Secondary Curriculum
(940) 235-1021 ext. 15009